I use this shaving cream and give it as gifts. People don’t think of making shaving cream, but it’s SO easy! I only started after I looked at the ingredients inside mine, and knew I wanted something better.
You can use any scent when you make this cream, I just happen to love lavender and peppermint. It makes me feel calm in the shower when I finally get some alone time!
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1/3 cup of shea butter
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil * cold pressed
- 1/4 cup of grape-seed oil
- 2 Tbsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of Vitamin E * I use 2 of these
- In a double broiler, or a glass bowl over boiling water, melt the Coconut oil and the shea butter. You want it to look clear, but not get too hot. I keep it on medium heat and stir until it melts. You never want it to boil.
- Once its liquified, take off the heat and let cool for 15/20 min.
- Add in your essential oils, grape-seed oil, and vitamin E. Mix and leave out until it’s room temp. You can put in the fridge to speed up the process, however I typically just leave it out while I make dinner and eat, and then by the time my son is asleep, it’s room temp. If you leave it in the fridge too long, and it’s solid, no worries! Just leave it out on the counter until it’s room temp. This can be overnight if you’re worried about temps.
- Add baking soda, and use a hand mixer to whip up fluffy… sometimes this can take 5-10 min.
- Then transfer to a glass jar, and use daily for shaving!
*If you keep this in the shower, watch out for mold, since tap water can get inside the jar since this has no preservatives, you will want to keep an eye out.
Let me know if you have any questions… Would love to see how this works for you!
Dana Ashmore is one of the main founders of the Our Favorite Essentials community. When she is not busy being a mom to her son Oliver, she runs Gratitude Collaborative, a boutique gifting studio that gives back.
Click here to shop Our Favorite Essentials with Team Gratitude: